Inside: Save money and skip the Chinese takeout with this easy to make authentic Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken recipe. Your wallet and your taste buds will thank you!
I am a Chinese takeout junkie.
There I said it, out loud, in writing, for the very first time.
You see, most days I don’t feel like cooking. I can be kinda lazy like that. I fell into that trap that it is easier to eat takeout than pull everything out and cook.
Ok…time for my second confession – I hate cooking.
If y’all just laughed and said what?! A food blogger that hates cooking? It’s okay, I forgive you. I might hate cooking, but damn do I love to eat and share good food.
Y’all can see just how quickly I fell in love (I mean…I have built an entire site around my love my Instant Pot)…
This easy Kung Pao Chicken recipe was sent to me by a close friend attached with a “hey, try this and stop spending so much on fast food”. So I did. And I’m in love.
Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken Recipe
When my friend first sent me this Kung Pao Chicken recipe I had a, Woah hold up moment. The Kung Pao Chicken Sauce intimidated me.
What do you mean I have to grate ginger? And what in the ever loving world is hoisin sauce?
If you have this knee jerk reaction while reading this recipe, just know, if I can do this so can you. It is nowhere near as scary as it sounds.
It was as simple as cooking the Kung Pao Chicken in your Instant Pot (about ten minutes) and then folding in the sauce.
And oh my lanta was it delicious!
Items Recommended for Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
Ok, well enough of me rambling.
You can find the recipe below and get cooking.
Don’t forget to head over to see how to easily make perfect Instant Pot rice to serve with your Kung Pao Chicken!
For the Chicken:
- 3 zucchini; sliced in quarters
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast strips; cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers; diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup raw peanuts
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce ( you can use light if needed)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 whole chili peppers; optional
- In the instant pot, add in chicken with salt and pepper. Lock instant pot in place and set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Let natural pressure release.
- Cut red peppers and zucchini. Turn instant pot on saute mode. Add red peppers and zucchini to the pot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until zucchini and red peppers are tender but still a tad crisp.
- Add in raw peanuts and stir well.
- Mix cornstarch, soy sauce, raw honey, hoisin sauce, garlic, and ginger in a large liquid measuring cup. Whisk well. Add in crush red pepper. Whisk well.
- Fold in sauce over chicken in the instant pot. Cook 1 to 2 minutes and set heat to keep warm.
- Add whole chili peppers for look if needed.
- Serve with Instant Pot Rice.