Inside: A quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde recipe that is bound to be a crowd pleaser! Save your sanity and impress your friends and family while your pressure cooker does all the heavy lifting!
I. Love. Chicken Chile Verde.
It’s actually a love affair that goes back a few years.
See, I had the worst cold, and I was complaining to a sweet friend of mine.
“I’ve got just the thing to clear you up! My mom’s made it for me for years!”
I figured it was going to be a simple chicken noodle soup or something, but boyyyyy was I wrong!
See, my friend’s mom was born and raised in Mexico, and when they need to clear up your sinuses, it’s spicy chicken chile verde to the rescue!
Trust me, this recipe is so good your whole family will be begging you to make it! Save your sanity and let your Instant Pot do the heavy lifting with this delicious Instant Pot chicken Chile Verde recipe.
Items Recommended for Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde
Oh my goodness, that makes me feel better just looking at it…
Spicy… Chile… Sooooooo goood!
Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde Recipe
This Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde recipe took some testing…
I wanted to make it exactly like my friend made it for me.
After a few tests with my trusty Instant Pot, I knew I had knocked it out of the park.
Using fresh vs frozen chicken in the Instant Pot
If you have frozen chicken, thaw it overnight in the fridge. If this isn’t possible, here are some quick instructions for cooking frozen chicken in your pressure cooker:
Place frozen chicken in cool water if the pieces cannot be separated yet. Place the frozen chicken in the Instant Pot, cover in a cup of chicken broth and other seasonings, and put the lid on.
Turn the steam release vale to seal. Your cook time will vary based on the side of the pieces of chicken you’re using, but I cook for 20 minutes for 5 pounds of frozen chicken breasts. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Make sure your chicken is cooked thoroughly to 165*F. Allow chicken to set for at least 5 minutes before shredding.
You can substitute chicken with pork, too.
You can use chicken chili verde for:
- and more!
As an added bonus, it’s naturally low carb, so you can eat it if you’re following the Keto diet.
So handing him his bowl I was a little nervous.
I knew it tasted perfect to me, but would it pass his food-snob test?
“Did Lisa bring over some Chicken Chile Verde?!”
I had done it! My Instant Pot chicken chile verde recipe was absolutely perfect and made soup just like Lisa’s.
Now I can’t wait to share it with you!
- 2 anaheim peppers; de-seeded and ribs removed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 serrano peppers; de-seeded and ribs removed
- 1 - 32oz chicken broth
- 1 white onion; sliced into rounds
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (read notes to sub with rotisserie chicken)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bundle cilantro
- 6 tomatillos; quartered
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 4 drops of maggi (optional)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 red onion; diced for garnish
- Please read notes for recipe using rotisserie chicken.
- In your instant pot or pressure cooker add in chicken, white onion, diced peppers, diced serrano peppers, quartered tomatillos, and garlic.
- Pour in chicken broth and add water to just cover the ingredients.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, and maggi.
- Set to high pressure and set timer to 20 minutes. Let natural pressure release.
- Once the pressure has released. Remove the chicken and immersion blend the soup. If you have a non stick pressure cooker then remove soup to a bowl and blend then add back to the pot. Shred chicken and add back to the soup.
- Add a third cup of water to a bowl and 3/4 of the bundle of cilantro. Immersion blend. Pour this into the soup.
- Use extra cilantro and red onion to garnish.
For rotisserie chicken add everything but the chicken to the instant pot or pressure cooker. Cook for 10 minutes and then immersion blend. Add cilantro mixture. Add rotisserie chicken (cooked) to the soup and garnish.
You may also garnish with cojita cheese or queso fresco.