When you crave the comforting flavors of a traditional chicken pot pie but desire a quicker, simpler approach, the Skillet Chicken Pot Pie Casserole comes to the rescue. This recipe retains all the heartwarming qualities of the classic dish, with tender chicken, colorful vegetables, and a creamy sauce, but it’s served as a casserole, eliminating the fuss of a pastry crust. Let’s embark on this delightful culinary journey to enjoy a taste of home with a modern twist.
For the Filling:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Topping:
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Preparing the Filling:
- In a large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, typically in 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic, stirring to create a roux. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture turns golden.
- Gradually pour in the chicken broth and whole milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Allow the mixture to simmer and thicken, which should take around 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked diced chicken and frozen mixed vegetables. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and heated through.
Creating the Topping:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the biscuit mix and whole milk. Stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
Assembling and Baking:
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Drop spoonfuls of the biscuit mixture on top of the chicken and vegetable filling in the skillet. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- Place the skillet under the broiler and cook until the biscuit topping turns golden brown, typically in about 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye to avoid burning.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and serve.
- Cooking Chicken: You can use pre-cooked chicken, such as rotisserie chicken or leftover roasted chicken. Shredded chicken works well too.
- Vegetable Variations: Feel free to use your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. This recipe is versatile and can accommodate various veggies.
- Biscuit Mix: If you don’t have biscuit mix, you can make your own by combining 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup of cold, cubed butter.
- Cheese Options: Experiment with different cheeses like sharp cheddar, Gruyère, or Swiss to vary the flavor.
- Serving: Enjoy your Skillet Chicken Pot Pie Casserole as a complete meal or serve it with a side salad for a well-rounded dinner.
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie Casserole delivers all the nostalgia of a classic pot pie in a simplified, modern format. It’s a one-pan wonder that provides the ultimate comfort on busy weeknights or when you’re yearning for a cozy meal. Invite your family to the table and savor the delightful flavors of this updated comfort food classic. 🍲🍗🥦