Inside: Make an easy healthy tomato soup in your Instant Pot using fresh tomatoes. Throw those cans out and fall in love with this Instant Pot tomato soup recipe.
Growing up I hated tomato soup.
I had it once, it was absolutely paste-y disgusting, and then I refused for 20+ years to ever try it again.
Then my Mother-in-Law convinced me to try a tomato soup made with fresh tomatoes…well more like she got on my case that I couldn’t make my kids try new foods if I wouldn’t do the same. ha.
And y’all, I fell in love. The creamy rich flavor – just heaven.
So much that this Instant Pot tomato soup has become one of my favorite lunches.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Before you delve into cooking there are some tips and tricks that will make this tomato soup recipe a lot easier.
- I personally prefer to use fresh tomatoes but you can make this Instant Pot tomato soup with canned tomatoes. If you decide to use canned tomatoes, you will need to use 2 28-ounce cans.
- If you are using fresh tomatoes, roasting them in garlic is essential. The garlic roast pulls out a nice full flavor
- This recipe makes 8 cups of soup. If you are meal planning you can keep this in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze. If you plan on freezing your tomato soup do not add in the heavy cream before freezing.
Also, when making this Instant Pot tomato soup recipe with canned tomatoes the flavor will come out 100 times better if you use one can of crushed tomatoes and one canned of diced.
When we go the canned route I really love using these fire roasted diced tomatoes.
Items Recommend for Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Easy peasy and delicious! This Instant Pot Tomato Soup will be a family favorite in your home in no time!
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3 lbs cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 14 whole cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14 oz can of vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place tomatoes and garlic on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and roast for about 25 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove tray from oven and set aside.
- Pour the tomatoes, broth, vegetables, and seasonings into the Instant Pot. Close the lid and set on Soup mode for 20 minutes.
- When it is done, natural release the pressure for ten minutes and then quick release.
- Open the Instant Pot, Select the sauté function, stir the soup, and stir in the sugar, butter, and heavy cream. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, you can add more vegetable stock, ½ cup at a time.
- Using a blender puree the mixture until it’s very smooth. If you use an immersion blender you can puree the soup directly in the Instant Pot.
- Once everything is blended together serve and enjoy!
Oh, and don’t forget… If you aren’t making a super yummy Instant Pot tomato soup right this second, you’ll definitely want to pin this post so that you can come back to it again and again!