Hello, dear readers!
Are you in the mood for a buttery, soft, and sumptuous treat that melts in your mouth? Do you crave something that’s both comforting and elevating at the same time? If your answer is a resounding ‘Yes!’, then you’re in the right place. Today, we’ll dive deep into the delectable world of Milk Brioche Rolls!
The magic of these rolls doesn’t stop at the baking. Serve them with luxurious jams, creamy cheeses, or transform them into gourmet sandwiches. Every bite promises an indulgence.
Grandma’s Whisk: The Tale of Soft & Fluffy Milk Brioche Rolls
There are recipes, and then there are heirlooms. This Milk Brioche Roll recipe is, for me, the latter. Whenever I sink my teeth into these soft, buttery rolls, I’m instantly transported to my grandma’s warm, sunlit kitchen, enveloped by the aroma of freshly baked bread and the gentle clink of her porcelain tea set.
Grandma Elise, a sprightly lady with snow-white hair and sparkling blue eyes, was the essence of everything warm and comforting. Born in a small village near Provence, France, she had tales that could captivate anyone from restless toddlers to cynical teenagers. However, the stories that stood out the most were not spoken but baked.
I remember being about seven, visiting her during the summer holidays. She would wake up at the crack of dawn, and by the time I’d lazily roll out of bed, the house would be filled with the rich scent of yeast and butter. On the wooden table would be a row of golden Milk Brioche Rolls, steam still wafting off them, waiting to be slathered with her homemade berry jam.
One morning, as she was teaching me the art of kneading – a task that seemed almost magical under her dexterous fingers – she shared the story behind this particular recipe. During World War II, when resources were scant, making something as ‘luxurious’ as brioche was a rarity. But young Elise was determined. She had seen the recipe in an old magazine and decided to save it for a special occasion.
That occasion came when her eldest brother returned home after the war. Using the few ingredients they could gather, she and her mother set out to make the brioche rolls. They didn’t have enough eggs or butter as per the original recipe, so they improvised. What resulted were rolls that were, as she put it, “Not quite brioche, but something even better.” The family loved them so much that they became a staple for any significant event.
She carried that improvised recipe with her when she moved to the States after marrying my grandfather. Through the years, she perfected it, making little tweaks here and there, until she birthed these Soft & Fluffy Milk Brioche Rolls that I’m sharing with you today.
Every bite of these rolls is not just a taste of culinary excellence but a slice of history, a piece of heart. I hope, when you bake them, they fill your home with as much warmth and love as Grandma Elise’s did. And maybe, just maybe, they’ll become a part of your family’s treasured tales too.
To this day, whenever I bake these rolls, I use Grandma Elise’s old whisk, slightly bent out of shape but brimming with memories. It reminds me of the love, resilience, and creativity that went into creating this recipe, and I’m honored to share it with all of you.
To whip up these decadent Milk Brioche Rolls, make sure your pantry is stocked with:
- Whole milk: You’ll need 1 cup. This gives the brioche its tender crumb.
- Active dry yeast: 2 ¼ tsp, the leavening agent.
- All-purpose flour: 4 cups, plus a little extra for dusting.
- Granulated sugar: 1/3 cup for a hint of sweetness.
- Salt: Just 1 tsp to balance flavors.
- Eggs: 4 for the dough and 1 for the egg wash.
- Unsalted butter: 1/2 cup, because butter makes everything better.
- Parchment paper: For lining your baking tray.
- Workstation: Always clean and organize your workstation before you begin. This ensures efficiency and cleanliness.
- Bowls & Utensils: You’ll need a large mixing bowl, a whisk, a wooden spoon, a baking tray, and a pastry brush.
- Prep Ingredients: Measure out each ingredient accurately. Use room temperature eggs and softened butter.
- Follow the Recipe Steps: Once everything is organized, dive right into the recipe!
Soft & Fluffy Milk Brioche Rolls Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours (including proofing time)
- Servings: 12 delightful rolls
- 1 cup (240ml) whole milk, lukewarm
- 2 ¼ tsp (7g) active dry yeast
- 4 cups (500g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup (70g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg for egg wash
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Soft & Fluffy Milk Brioche Rolls:
1. Yeast Activation:
- Start by warming up your milk to a lukewarm temperature. You’re aiming for a gentle warmth, not hot.
- Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the milk. Allow it to sit for 5-7 minutes until it becomes frothy. This is when the magic starts!
2. Dry Ingredients Mix:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt. It’s essential to get an even distribution for the fluffiest rolls.
3. Wet Ingredients Fusion:
- Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients.
- Carefully pour in the milk and yeast mixture.
- Add the room temperature eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Butter Incorporation:
- Now, the indulgence! Gradually add the softened unsalted butter, bit by bit. Mix until you get a soft, slightly sticky dough.
5. Kneading & First Proofing:
- Lightly flour a clean surface. Turn out your dough and knead for about 10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Place your kneaded dough in a greased bowl, covering it with a damp cloth. Let it rest in a warm spot for 1 to 1.5 hours or until it doubles in size.
6. Shaping the Rolls:
- Punch down the dough gently to release any air bubbles.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Shape each into a smooth ball.
- Place these balls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, ensuring they’re spaced out.
7. Second Proofing:
- Cover the tray with a cloth and allow the rolls to rise again for about 30 minutes.
8. Final Touches:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat the remaining egg and brush it over the tops of the rolls. This gives them a golden, glossy finish!
9. Baking Time:
- Pop the tray into the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the rolls have a beautiful golden-brown hue and sound hollow when tapped.
10. Serve & Enjoy!
- Let them cool slightly before serving. Enjoy with your favorite spreads, or savor them plain in all their fluffy glory!
Pro-tip: Pair these milk brioche rolls with a cup of cappuccino or hot cocoa for the ultimate breakfast experience!
- Butter & Jam: Slather your warm rolls with butter and your favorite jam or preserves.
- Cheese: Brioche pairs wonderfully with creamy cheeses such as brie or camembert.
- French Toast: Transform leftover rolls into luxurious French toast topped with berries and syrup.
- Sandwiches: Use them as a base for gourmet sandwiches, perhaps with smoked salmon or roast beef.
How To Store Leftovers:
- Room Temperature: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Freezing: These rolls freeze beautifully. Once cooled, pop them in a freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. They’ll stay fresh for up to a month. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Can I use skim milk instead of whole milk?
While whole milk provides a richer taste, skim milk can be used for a lighter version.
- How do I know if my yeast is still good?
If it doesn’t froth when mixed with lukewarm milk, it’s time to replace it.
- Can I freeze these rolls?
Absolutely! Store them in an airtight bag for up to a month. Thaw at room temperature.
So, there you have it – the softest, fluffiest, and most delightful milk brioche rolls you’ll ever make. Perfect for Sunday brunches, special occasions, or any time you wish to indulge yourself a little. Remember, food isn’t just about sustenance; it’s an experience. And with these brioche rolls, it’s one you won’t soon forget.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with fellow brioche enthusiasts and tag us on your delicious creations. Until next time, happy baking! 🥐🥛🌞
📌 Loved this recipe? Don’t forget to PIN it to your favorite baking board on Pinterest! Let others in on the secret to the softest brioche rolls!