One of my absolute favorite dishes to make in the pressure cooker is this old fashioned beef pot roast. It is incredibly simple to make and unlike making pot roast in the oven, this recipe won’t take all day for the flavors to meld and the meat to reach fall apart tenderness.
Related: Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
Instant Pot Old Fashioned Beef Pot Roast
Making this beef pot roast in your pressure cooker is pretty straight forward and you could easily adapt this basic recipe to your liking.
When making this pot roast in the pressure cooker, there are some things to keep in mind.
* Using a wooden turner to deglaze the Instant Pot is essential. To read more on why a wooden turner is essential for the deglazing process read: Why is My Meat Burning When I Saute?.
* If you decide to change up the spices used for this beef pot roast, remember that when pressure cooking fresh herbs less is more. Cooking under pressure will amplify the potency of the spices. The exception to this rule is if you are using dried herbs instead of fresh herbs. If you are using dehydrated herbs then do not be afraid to go heavy – typically you can add up to 50% more when using dried herbs.
* Allow the pressure to naturally release. This makes sure the roast is fully cooked and also helps it reach that fall apart tenderness. At minimum allow the pressure to naturally release for ten minutes. I will be honest, unless we are in an absolute hurry I will allow our pot roast to sit for up to 45 minutes when I make this.
Alrighty y’all, let’s get cooking!
Instant Pot Old Fashion Beef Pot Roast
- 4 lb. beef roast
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, chopped
- 2 t. fresh thyme leaves, rinsed
- 2 t. fresh oregano leaves, rinsed
- 1 T. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 c. organic beef stock, divided*
- 1 c. dry red wine
- Turn Instant Pot on to sauté and allow inner pot a chance to heat up.
- Wash and peel all vegetables and pat dry before prepping. (Potato skins can either be left on or removed based on personal preference).
- Sauté olive oil, garlic, and mushrooms for 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms start to release their liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Add roast with salt and pepper to pot and brown all sides.
- Transfer browned beef and mushroom mixture to a large bowl.
- Deglaze pot with 1 cup beef stock and the red wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits. Once the pot has been deglazed return the mushroom and roast mixture to the pot.
- Add 2 cups of beef broth, bay leaf, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, and fresh herbs to the pot.
- Add lid to the Instant Pot and lock the lead. Make sure the vent is sealed.
- Set the Instant Pot on “Manual/High” for 12 minutes.
- Once done cooking allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon hot stew into individual serving bowls and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
Not making this Old Fashioned Beef Pot Roast in your Instant Pot right this second? Then pin this post so you can easily find it later!