Looking for something new to try on your holiday menu? We recently gave this Instant Pot Apple Butternut Squash Recipe a try in our home and we fell in love with it! If you are looking to switch up the sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole for your holiday dinners then you have got to try this!
Instant Pot Apple Butternut Squash Recipe
Making butternut squash in the Instant Pot is probably one of our favorite everyday side dishes. It’s incredibly easy and turns out delicious every time. Plus, butternut squash is so versatile!
This butternut squash casserole is full of flavor with apples, bacon, red onions, and pecans – it is the perfect casserole for fall.
When making this apple butternut squash casserole in the pressure cooker I did use a stackable pan insert.
There are also casserole dishes that will fit into the Instant Pot. If you go this route check to make sure they are heat safe before proceeding.
I do think that this casserole could be cooked directly in the Instant Pot without a stackable pan, but I worried about it since pressure cookers require liquid in order to come to pressure. Adding liquids directly to the butternut squash mixture will cause the items to get soggy and probably fall apart.
An option to create this dish in your instant pot without the liquids would be to slow cook or saute until the squash is fork tender. This of course would take more time, but is a work around if you do not own a stackable pan…which if you don’t I would strongly recommended getting one! Since buying our stackable pans we have started using our pressure cooker so much more!
Alrighty y’all, let’s get cooking!
- ¼ c. coconut oil, melted, divided
- 3 c. butternut squash, cubed
- 2 medium firm apples, cubed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1½ t. fresh sage, chopped
- 1½ t. fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ½ c. pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 T. honey
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. ground cloves
- 1/2-1 c. water
- Combine the butternut squash, apples, red onion, 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, sage, and thyme in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Transfer butternut squash into a stackable Instant Pot pan insert and spread in an even layer. Place in the pressure cooker and add at least a 1/2 cup of water beneath it.
- Lock lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Pressure cook on "High/Manual" for five minutes.
- Once the squash is done pressure cooking allow it to naturally release until the next steps are finished (about 15 minutes).
- In a skillet, over medium heat on the stove top cook the bacon until it is crispy.Once cooked, transfer the bacon to a small mixing bowl lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Blot off remaining grease on top and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, discard the paper towels and add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil, chopped pecans, honey, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and toss to combine.
- Quick release any remaining pressure in the Instant Pot. Remove the stackable pan with the butternut squash mixture. Transfer the butternut squash mixture to a serving dish and top with the bacon-pecan mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 234Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 8gSodium 18mgCarbohydrates 26gSugar 8gProtein 2g
If you aren’t making this Apple Butternut Squash in your Instant Pot right this second then pin this post so you can easily find it later!