Ham and Wild Rice Soup: A Hearty and Comforting Delight
When it comes to comforting and hearty soups, Ham and Wild Rice Soup stands out as a classic favorite. It’s the perfect way to use up leftover ham and transform it into a warm and satisfying meal. Packed with the goodness of ham, wild rice, and a medley of vegetables, this soup is a delightful combination of flavors and textures. Whether you’re looking for a cozy meal on a chilly day or a dish to impress your family and friends, this recipe has you covered. Let’s embark on a culinary journey and create a soup that’s bound to become a cherished tradition.
For the Soup:
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Crispy bacon bits (optional)
Prepare the Soup:
- Rinse the wild rice under cold water.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, diced carrots, and diced celery. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the sautéed vegetables and stir to create a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the wild rice and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 40-45 minutes or until the wild rice is tender.
- Once the wild rice is tender, remove the bay leaf.
- Stir in the diced ham and heavy cream. Continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the soup is heated through.
- Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve and Garnish: 9. Ladle the Ham and Wild Rice Soup into bowls.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and crispy bacon bits (if desired).
- Serve hot and enjoy the heartwarming flavors of this comforting soup.
- You can use leftover ham, ham steak, or even smoked turkey for a twist on the classic recipe.
- For a thicker soup, you can increase the amount of all-purpose flour in the roux.
- To add extra depth of flavor, you can sauté the vegetables in a combination of butter and olive oil.
- Customize the soup with your favorite herbs and spices. A pinch of thyme or a dash of cayenne pepper can provide an extra layer of flavor.
- The wild rice takes longer to cook compared to regular white rice, so be patient and let it simmer until tender.
Ham and Wild Rice Soup is a wholesome and comforting meal that brings together the goodness of ham, wild rice, and a medley of vegetables. It’s a delightful soup that’s perfect for any occasion, from family dinners to gatherings with friends. Create your own tradition with this recipe, and savor the heartwarming flavors it offers.