Baked Cabbage Steaks – A Simple and Healthy Side Dish
Baked cabbage steaks are a wonderfully easy and nutritious side dish that’s perfect for any meal. Whether you’re looking for a low-carb alternative, a healthy addition to your dinner table, or a creative way to enjoy cabbage, these “steaks” will become a household favorite. They’re roasted to perfection, bringing out the natural sweetness of the cabbage while adding a delightful crispiness to the edges. Let’s get started with this delicious and simple recipe!
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional seasonings: garlic powder, paprika, or your favorite herbs and spices
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). While the oven is preheating, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the Cabbage:
- Remove any outer leaves from the cabbage. Slice the cabbage into thick “steaks” by cutting it vertically, making each steak about 1-inch thick. Be sure to keep the core intact to hold the leaves together.
- Brush with Olive Oil:
- Place the cabbage steaks on the prepared baking sheet. Brush both sides of each steak with olive oil. This helps the cabbage become tender and develop a crispy edge when roasted.
- Season to Taste:
- Season the cabbage steaks with salt, black pepper, and any additional seasonings or herbs of your choice. Garlic powder and paprika work exceptionally well for added flavor.
- Roast in the Oven:
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast the cabbage for about 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and crispy, and the cabbage is tender. You may want to flip the steaks halfway through for even cooking.
- Serve Hot:
- Once the cabbage steaks are beautifully roasted, remove them from the oven. Serve them hot as a delightful and healthy side dish.
- Seasoning Options: Get creative with your seasonings. You can use everything from lemon zest to parmesan cheese, balsamic glaze, or even a drizzle of honey for a sweet and savory twist.
- Uniform Slices: To ensure even cooking, try to cut the cabbage steaks as uniformly as possible.
- Crispiness: If you prefer an even crispier texture, you can broil the cabbage steaks for a few extra minutes, but keep a close eye to prevent burning.
Baked cabbage steaks are not only delicious but also a healthy alternative to traditional side dishes. They pair well with a variety of main courses and are an excellent choice for those seeking a low-carb option. Enjoy these cabbage steaks as a nutritious addition to your meals! 🥬🍴😋