This Instant Pot Hungarian Goulash is a savory beef stew with spicy paprika and onions. This classic dish is perfect for learning how to use your pressure cooker!
If you are new to using your Instant Pot then you need to give this Hungarian beef goulash a try! It is the perfect instant pot recipe for beginners because Hungarian beef goulash is extremely simple in terms of ingredients and gives you chance to learn how to cook noodles, sear meat, and create sauce – super easy and delicious!
Instant Pot Hungarian Goulash Recipe
If you have never tried Hungarian goulash before then you are in for a treat with this delicious comfort food. This spicy stew is absolute perfect for colder weather.
Traditionally Hungarian goulash is made without any thickners. However, when cooked under pressure recipes can come out thinner than if they are cooked on the stove top. This is fantastic for creating extremely tender meats, however it can be a bit of a struggle when it comes to creating sauces.
To combat this with our pressure cooker Hungarian goulash we added in cornstarch. Cornstarch, like tomatoes, does not cook well in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. If used under pressure thickners such as tomatoes or cornstarch can cause you to get the dreaded burn notice. Because of this, cornstarch should always be added in after your recipe has cooked.
If desired you can completely skip adding in cornstarch or easily substitute it for another thickener. If you are already very comfortable with your Instant Pot I would personally suggest playing around with using tomatoes to thicken your goulash 😉
Items Recommended for Instant Pot Hungarian Goulash
Traditionally Hungarian Goulash uses Hungarian Sweet Paprika – it definitely is worth ordering online if you cannot easily find it in your stores. That said, if it comes down to it, this beef goulash recipe can easily be made with any type of paprika.
Alrighty y’all, let’s get cooking!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 3 lbs stewed beef in ½ inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt - more if needed
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Set instant pot/pressure cooker to saute mode. Add in beef and sear the outside. Add in onions and garlic. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add paprika. Stir coating everything well. Pour in beef broth and set to "Manual/High" for 15 minutes. Once done cooking naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then quick release remaining pressure before opening lid.
- Add salt and pepper. Stir well. Sift in cornstarch stirring frequently. This will thicken the sauce. Serve with noodles or dumplings.
You may use other thickeners in place of cornstarch if needed.
Amount Per Serving Calories 2615Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 4gSodium 255853mgCarbohydrates 245gProtein 232g
Not making this Hungarian Goulash in your Instant Pot right this second? Then pin this post so you can easily find it later!