Welcome to our culinary corner, where today we’re celebrating a timeless classic – Old Fashioned Goulash. This hearty, comforting dish has been a family favorite for generations, offering a perfect blend of savory flavors and simple, wholesome ingredients. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a home cooking enthusiast, this goulash recipe is sure to delight your palate and warm your heart.
Classic Old Fashioned Goulash: A Hearty Family Recipe
This Old Fashioned Goulash recipe has been a cherished treasure in our family for generations. Passed down from my great-grandmother, it symbolizes comfort and togetherness, often being the centerpiece at family gatherings and cozy winter nights.
Cooking Time and Servings:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- Ground beef
- Large onion
- Garlic salt
- Chili powder
- Hot sauce
- Cans of whole stewed tomatoes
- Tomato juice
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- Garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, and hot sauce to taste
- 2 cans whole stewed tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup ketchup
- Tomato juice as needed
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat; drain off excess fat.
- Add diced onion to the beef, cooking until tender.
- Season with garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, and hot sauce.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and ketchup; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato juice to reach your preferred consistency.
- Mix in the cooked macaroni.
- Let the goulash simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Information: This Old Fashioned Goulash is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. Each serving offers a good balance of protein, carbs, and essential vitamins.
- For a leaner option, consider using ground turkey or chicken.
- Enhance the flavor by adding a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Serve with a side of crusty bread or a fresh green salad.
The Secrets Behind the Perfect Recipe:
- Use high-quality ground beef for richer flavor.
- Simmer the goulash slowly to meld the flavors.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste, don’t be afraid to experiment.
Keto Old Fashioned Goulash Recipe
- 2 cups cauliflower rice or spiralized zucchini as a substitute for macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef (choose a leaner cut for less fat)
- 1 large onion, diced
- Garlic salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste (avoid hot sauce with added sugars)
- 2 cans of whole stewed tomatoes, undrained (check for no added sugar)
- ½ cup sugar-free ketchup or tomato paste
- Sugar-free tomato juice as needed
- Prepare the cauliflower rice by sautéing in a pan until tender, or cook the spiralized zucchini for a few minutes until soft. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the diced onion to the beef, and cook until it’s translucent and tender.
- Season with garlic salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste. Remember to check the labels of your spices to ensure they’re sugar-free.
- Stir in the stewed tomatoes and sugar-free ketchup or tomato paste. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes, letting the flavors meld together.
- If the mixture is too thick, slowly add sugar-free tomato juice until you reach the desired consistency.
- Finally, mix in the cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles, combining everything thoroughly.
- Continue to simmer the goulash for an additional 10-15 minutes, allowing all the flavors to infuse into the veggies.
Serving Size: Approximately 4-6 servings, depending on portion sizes.
- Always check the labels of your ingredients to ensure they are low in carbs and free of added sugars.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste, and feel free to add other keto-friendly spices.
- You can garnish with fresh herbs or a sprinkle of grated cheese, as long as it fits within your keto guidelines.
This keto version of the Old Fashioned Goulash offers a low-carb alternative that stays true to the flavors of the traditional recipe. Enjoy the warmth and comfort of this classic dish while adhering to your keto dietary needs.
Serving suggestions can greatly enhance the enjoyment of your Old Fashioned Goulash. Here are some ideas to make your meal even more delightful:
- Fresh Bread: Serve your goulash with a side of crusty bread, perfect for soaking up the savory sauce. Choose a rustic loaf like sourdough or a hearty rye.
- Green Salad: Balance the richness of the goulash with a fresh green salad. A mix of arugula, spinach, and romaine, tossed with a light vinaigrette, adds a refreshing element.
- Grated Cheese: A sprinkle of grated cheese such as cheddar, parmesan, or a mild gouda over the hot goulash adds a creamy texture and depth of flavor.
- Sour Cream: A dollop of sour cream on top of each serving can add a tangy contrast to the warm spices of the goulash.
- Roasted Vegetables: Serve with a side of roasted vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini for a nutritious and colorful addition.
- Mashed Potatoes: For a heartier meal, serve the goulash over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes.
- Rice or Quinoa: A side of rice or quinoa can also pair well, providing a neutral base that complements the rich flavors of the goulash.
- Pickled Vegetables: Add a side of pickled cucumbers or beets for a sharp, vinegary contrast that can cut through the richness of the dish.
- Herb Garnish: Sprinkle freshly chopped herbs like parsley, dill, or basil on top for a burst of freshness and color.
- Wine Pairing: Consider pairing your goulash with a medium-bodied red wine like a Merlot or a light-bodied white wine like a Chardonnay, depending on your preference.
These serving suggestions are designed to complement the hearty and comforting nature of Old Fashioned Goulash, making your meal a truly satisfying experience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Old Fashioned Goulash, which can be helpful for your blog readers:
- What is Old Fashioned Goulash?
Old Fashioned Goulash is a traditional, hearty dish made with ground beef, macaroni, tomatoes, and various seasonings. It’s a comfort food known for its rich flavors and simple ingredients.
- Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Absolutely! Substitute the ground beef with a plant-based alternative or extra vegetables like mushrooms or bell peppers for a vegetarian version.
- How can I store and reheat leftovers?
Leftover goulash can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat it on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave.
- Is Old Fashioned Goulash gluten-free?
Traditional goulash is not gluten-free due to the macaroni. However, you can make it gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta or a pasta alternative like zucchini noodles.
- Can I freeze this dish?
Yes, goulash freezes well. Cool it completely, then store in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- Can I use a different type of meat?
Of course! While ground beef is traditional, you can use ground turkey, chicken, or even pork for a different flavor profile.
- How can I make this dish spicier?
To add more heat, increase the amount of chili powder or hot sauce. You can also add diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes.
- What can I serve with goulash?
Goulash pairs well with crusty bread, a green salad, roasted vegetables, or a side of mashed potatoes.
- How can I thicken my goulash?
If your goulash is too thin, let it simmer uncovered to reduce the liquid. Alternatively, you can mix in a small amount of tomato paste or a cornstarch slurry.
- Is this dish kid-friendly?
Yes, Old Fashioned Goulash is generally kid-friendly, thanks to its mild flavors and familiar ingredients like pasta and ground beef. Adjust the spices to suit younger palates.
Old Fashioned Goulash is more than just a meal; it’s a warm, delicious hug in a bowl. It’s perfect for busy weeknights, lazy weekends, and everything in between. Try it out, and let this dish take you on a delightful journey down memory lane.
We’d love to hear your experience with this recipe! Share your thoughts and any personal twists in the comments below. Don’t forget to check out our other recipes for more culinary inspiration. Happy cooking!
📌 Love this recipe? Pin it to your Favorite Recipes board on Pinterest to easily find it later!