Cabbage, the humble and often overlooked vegetable, can surprise even the most skeptical eater when prepared the right way. Say hello to Baked Cabbage Steaks – an incredibly tasty and effortless dish that’s bound to win hearts. Perfectly seasoned and roasted to a golden charm, these steaks make a delectable side dish or even a main event for vegetarians.
- Cabbage (2 small heads)
- Olive oil (ensure you have at least 2 tablespoons)
- Salt (fine or sea salt)
- Black pepper (preferably freshly ground)
- Preheat & Prep: Set your oven to preheat at 400°F (200°C). While waiting, lay your workspace with all the needed ingredients and utensils.
- Slicing: Using a sharp knife, slice the cabbages into 1-inch thick steaks. Lay them flat on a tray or plate.
- Seasoning Prep: In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir well until properly mixed.
- Brush: Use a pastry brush (or even the back of a spoon) to spread the olive oil mixture onto both sides of each cabbage steak. Ensure they’re generously coated for a rich flavor.
The Secrets Behind Perfect Baked Cabbage Steaks:
- Freshness Factor: Always pick cabbages that are firm to touch, with bright and crisp leaves. Fresh cabbages will give you the perfect texture – slightly crunchy and not too wilted.
- Uniform Slices: When you slice your cabbage into steaks, ensure they’re uniform in thickness. This ensures even cooking.
- High-Quality Olive Oil: Using a good quality olive oil can make all the difference. It enhances the natural flavors of the cabbage.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 2 small cabbages
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ Tbsp pepper
Step by Step Guide:
- Preparation: Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). While the oven gets warm, you can prep the cabbage.
- Cabbage Slicing: Lay each cabbage on its side and cut off the bottom stem, ensuring a stable base. Slice the cabbage into 1-inch thick steaks. You’ll end up with beautiful, naturally circular steaks. Keep the loose leaves; they’ll crisp up beautifully!
- Seasoning: In a bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Brush this mixture generously onto both sides of each cabbage steak. Ensure every nook and cranny of the cabbage gets some love!
- Baking: Place the seasoned cabbage steaks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. If you have any leftover seasoning, drizzle it over the steaks.
- Roast: Slide the baking sheet into the preheated oven and roast the cabbage steaks for 20-25 minutes. Halfway through, flip them to ensure even cooking. Once done, they should have a beautiful golden hue with crispy edges.
- Serve: Transfer the baked cabbage steaks onto a plate. They’re best enjoyed warm!
- Pair with a side of quinoa salad for a wholesome vegetarian meal.
- Serve alongside roasted chicken or grilled fish for a balanced plate.
- Drizzle a bit of lemon juice or sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top before serving.
How To Store Leftovers:
- Cooling: Before storing, allow the cabbage steaks to cool completely to room temperature. This prevents condensation which can make them soggy.
- Container: Use an airtight container or tightly wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Refrigeration: Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Hints & Hacks:
- Grill Marks: If you desire grill marks, you can briefly grill the cabbage steaks after baking.
- Seasoning Variations: Try adding a dash of smoked paprika, garlic powder, or dried herbs like rosemary or thyme to the olive oil mixture for added flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Can I use red cabbage? Absolutely! Red cabbage can be a colorful and delightful alternative.
- How do I store leftovers? Place in an airtight container and refrigerate. Consume within 2-3 days.
- Can I grill the cabbage steaks? Yes, they can be grilled for a charred flavor. Just ensure they don’t burn!
Cabbage, once an underdog of the vegetable world, shines bright and flavorful in this dish. Baked Cabbage Steaks are not only a testament to the versatility of veggies but also to the simplicity of ingredients. Sometimes, all you need is a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and some oven magic to turn something mundane into a gourmet delight. So, next time you’re in a culinary rut, remember this recipe, and let the cabbage surprise you!
📌 Loving this recipe? Make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board to keep it handy and share the veggie love!