Growing up, every Sunday at Grandma Elsie’s house meant two things: heartwarming tales and the unmistakable aroma of caramel walnuts wafting through her cozy kitchen. It was her secret weapon to gather the family, and it worked every time. Today, I’m excited to share with you this cherished recipe that’s been handed down through generations in our family.
If you’re like me, you’re always on the lookout for that next delightful snack that hits the sweet spot just right. And let me tell you, these 5-minute caramel walnuts are a treat you’re going to fall in love with instantly. They’re crunchy, sweet, salty, and a total delight for the taste buds. Whether you’re hosting a get-together, looking for a quick dessert topping, or just need an afternoon pick-me-up, this recipe has got you covered. Plus, it’s super quick and easy!
- Prep Time: 1 Minute
- Cook Time: 4 Minutes
- Total Time: 5 Minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar, packed (important: use golden brown and not dark brown)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon + 2 pinches salt
- Prepare the Ingredients: Start by measuring out all your ingredients. This will make the cooking process smooth and fast.
- Caramel Creation: In a medium-sized skillet, combine the golden brown sugar, water, butter, and salt. Turn the heat to medium and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Walnut Addition: Once the sugar has dissolved, toss in the walnuts. Stir constantly to ensure the walnuts are coated evenly with the caramel mixture.
- The Final Touch: Cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the caramel has thickened and coated the walnuts nicely. Be careful not to burn them!
- Cooling Time: Transfer the caramel-coated walnuts to a parchment-lined tray or plate. Spread them out in a single layer and allow them to cool completely.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once cooled, these caramel walnuts are ready to be devoured. They make a great snack on their own, or you can use them to top ice creams, cakes, or salads!
- Storing: If you’ve made a large batch, store these caramel walnuts in an airtight container. They’ll stay fresh and crunchy for up to a week!
- Variations: Feel free to experiment by adding a pinch of cinnamon or drizzling some dark chocolate over the cooled walnuts for an extra layer of flavor.
- Pairing: These caramel walnuts pair beautifully with a glass of red wine or even a creamy cheeseboard.
The Secrets Behind Perfect 5-Minute Caramel Walnuts:
- Golden Brown Sugar: The choice of golden brown over dark brown sugar gives that perfect light caramel texture.
- Constant Stirring: Ensure you’re stirring constantly to prevent burning and achieve an even coat.
- Cooling Properly: Spreading them on parchment paper lets them cool without sticking and retains their crunch.
- On its Own: A handful is enough for a delightful snack.
- Dessert Topping: Sprinkle over vanilla ice cream or a slice of cheesecake.
- Salad Addition: Adds a sweet touch to a fresh green salad.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Can I use pecans instead of walnuts? Absolutely! The caramel coating works beautifully with pecans as well.
- How long do they last? Stored in an airtight container, they’ll stay fresh for up to a week.
- Can I make a larger batch? Yes, just adjust the ingredients proportionally.
These 5-minute caramel walnuts are an absolute game-changer. They’re not just a treat for the palate but also a treat for your time. In a world where we’re always rushing from one task to the next, it’s a blessing to have recipes like these that require minimal effort yet deliver maximum taste.
Did you try out this recipe? Share your experience in the comments below, and don’t forget to tag your photos on social media with #5MinCaramelWalnuts!
Absolutely in love with this 5-minute caramel walnuts recipe? Don’t forget to PIN it to your favorite dessert board on Pinterest! Sharing is caring.