Inside: Kick it up and notch with this Olive Garden Copycat, Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup!
The first time I ever attempted to copycat my favorite Olive Garden soup at home, my hubs looked and me, looked at it, and wearily asked…what’s the green stuff?
That’s usually the question I get from my kids with an – ewww it’s green…
But that question from the hubs? …*eyeroll*
You see, -THAT- “green stuff” had come from my garden. It was also my first year gardening and the only plant that I didn’t manage to kill out of almost a million.
So he sucked it up and gave it a shot 😛
Now he asks me to make Zuppa Toscana in our Instant Pot weekly.
Pressure Cooker Kale Sausage Soup
Maybe it’s due to the fact that one year I only successfully grew kale.
Or maybe it’s due to the fact that my kids will actually eat kale without acting like it’s killing them.
I’m not quite sure.
But, whatever the reason is, kale is a huge part of our diet. So when it comes to making this instant pot zuppa toscana recipe, I get a little liberal with the kale.
I honestly do not think there is such a thing as overdoing the kale with this soup.
The recipe below is what I cook when I am cooking this recipe for my family. It has a nice full flavor without having too much of a kick.
If I am cooking this for just me and the hubs there are two things that I do different.
First, I add in an extra tablespoon of crushed peppers. And secondly, I add in one tablespoon of anise.
That little bit of kick, with the depth of the anise, and the crunch of kale – it’s absolutely heavenly.
Items Recommended for Pressure Cooker Kale Sausage Soup
Alrighty y’all, let’s get cooking!
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 oz. pancetta, cubed
- 2 lbs. bulk mild sausage
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans*
- 6-7 c. chicken stock, divided
- 1 T. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3” hard Parmesan cheese rind
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. half and half, tempered**
- 3 c. fresh kale, finely chopped
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Turn the Instant Pot onto sauté. Once the inner pot is warm add pancetta and brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage to pot to brown, breaking it up into small bite-sized chunks with a spatula while it cooks.
- Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from pot.
- Puree one can of cannellini beans (undrained) in a blender or food processor. Drain and rinse the other can of cannellini beans and add the puree and whole beans to the Instant Pot.
- Add 6 cups chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes, and Parmesan cheese rind to the pressure cooker and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cover, lock lid in place, and seal the vent.
- Cook for 5 minutes using the "Manual/High Pressure" setting.
- When cooking is complete, allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Add tempered half and half, kale, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and remaining chicken stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.
For less salt, drain and rinse both cans of cannellini beans before pureeing one can with a little water.
Temper the half and half by adding a little bit of the hot liquid to it before stirring it into the slow cooker crock.