Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the most popular Indian dishes ordered in American restaurants.
This simple Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala has a thick sauce filled with rich flavors and extremely tender chicken. When it comes to comfort food, chicken masala is up at the top of the list for me!
Chicken Tikka Masala Pressure Cooker Recipe
Chicken Masala is fantastic with bastami rice and naan bread. Actually, most of the time when I make this at home I completely skip the rice and just eat it with naan bread…I might be slightly addicted to naan 😉
When I make this for the kids they prefer just a simple white rice. If you would like to make your rice in the Instant Pot we have two simple tutorials you can follow:
This chicken masala (or butter chicken in some circles) is extremely easy to make and a family friendly meal. If your kids have not yet tried Indian food, chicken masala is a great dish to introduce to them.
While chicken masala is “spicy” it is not spicy in the sense of hot. Instead it is filled with savory rich creamy flavors that most kids will love.
When we first introduced butter chicken to my kids they were a bit hesitant. Now chicken tikka masla is frequently requested here. And cooking chicken masala in the pressure cooker couldn’t be easier!
Items Recommended for Instant Pot Chicken Masala
Alrighty y’all, let’s get cooking!
Easy Instant Recipes
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts cut in bite-sized chunks
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup curry powder
- 1 tsp ground or whole cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground or finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 can coconut cream (preferred, or coconut milk)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small can of tomato sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp. salt
- Turn pot to sauté mode. Place cumin and ginger in dry pot. Stir fry for about 1 minute. Do not let ingredients brown.
- Add oil and onion, sauté until translucent.
- Add chicken, salt and curry powder stir to mix all ingredients well, half cooking chicken.
- Pour coconut milk and stir. Add tomato sauce to reduce spice if you wish.
- Cover, lock pressure cooker and set to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
If you aren’t making this Chicken Masala in your Instant Pot right this second then pin this post so you can easily find it later!